Colorado Adventure Guidebooks
Singletrack & Tarmac – Mountain Bike Trails and Road Rides in Colorado’s Upper Arkansas River Valley. Includes the Mountain Towns of Salida, Buena Vista & Leadville.
Salida Singletrack & Tarmac
by Nathan Ward
- Featuring 36 Mountain Bike Trails and 18 Road Rides – beginner to expert, town to summit, smooth tarmac to extreme singletrack.
- Maps and Elevation Profiles for each ride, including altitude gain and loss.
- Local Advice on riding areas and seasons, where to sleep, where to soak, where to find the best pizza, the best coffee and the best bars.
Colorado boasts a lot of great cycling, but few places match the upper Arkansas River Valley with its wealth of trails, dirt roads and smooth pavement. Where else can you find hundreds of miles of empty singletrack, dozens of peaks over 14,000 feet, world class whitewater, wide shoulder highways and serene hot springs. They’re all easy to get to, relaxed and rarely crowded. If you want to spin your pedals in one of the best cycling destinations in the USA, start chanting now, you have found Bicycle Nirvana.
The Local’s Original Guide to the major mountain bike areas in Salida, Buena Vista, Leadville, Twin Lakes and Saint Elmo. Including the Monarch Crest Trail, the Rainbow Trail, the Colorado Trail and the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail.
Plus, the newest edition also includes the best Road Rides in the Valley – Poncha Pass, Monarch Pass, Independence Pass, Cottonwood Pass, Tennessee Pass, mountain training loops, bike path and beer-smeared town cruiser rides.
This is the perfect companion book to cyclists interested in the areas covered by the new professional road race – Quiznos Pro Challenge.
Mellow Mountain Trails – 27 Fun Day Hikes in Salida & Buena Vista, Colorado
by Suzanne Ward and Nathan Ward
- Featuring 27 of the best day hikes near Salida and Buena Vista – including sections of the Colorado Trail, the Continental Divide Trail, the Rainbow Trail, the big mountain passes, Twin Lakes, hidden gems and tasty desserts.
- All featured hikes are kid-friendly, dog-friendly, family-friendly and you can get to all but one in a normal car. No fancy 4WD truck needed. Just take the kids and dogs, jump in the car and go. The trails are waiting!
- Featured trails Include Everything from an easy hour long stroll to a tough multi-mile mountain adventure. Every trail includes a map, detailed mile-by-mile trail description and elevation profile with altitude gain and loss.
- Get a Local’s Perspective on the best of the Arkansas River Valley – tried and true suggestions on where to sleep, eat, shop, camp, drink and soak in the best hot springs.
Skinny Skis & Snowshoes – Guidebook to Winter Trails in Colorado’s Upper Arkansas Valley
by Nathan Ward and Nate Porter
- Featuring 25 of the Best Winter Snow Trails, from beginner to expert, skate skiing to backcountry adventures. Plus an additional 35 trail options.
- Each route includes a mile-by-mile description, map, elevation profile, level of difficulty and safety information.
- Local’s Advice on Snow Conditions, where to sleep, eat and soak in the best hot springs.
The Upper Arkansas River Valley includes more peaks over 14,000 feet than anywhere in the Continental United States.
This jagged string of mountains offers some of the best winter ski and snowshoe trails in Colorado with a wide variety of terrain – everything from groomed Nordic trails to wild backcountry singletrack. The valley is also a land of blue skies, plentiful powder, historic towns and steaming hot springs. Whether you seek an after-work tour, a day with the family or a backcountry challenge, the Upper Arkansas Valley delivers
. Get away from the crowds and back to the mountains.
The newest, most complete guide to ski and snowshoe routes
in the valley, including Leadville, Tennessee Pass, Twin Lakes, Independence Pass, Buena Vista, Cottonwood Pass, Saint Elmo, Salida and Monarch Pass.